My meal prep strategy has always been easy, comforting, but still healthy meals. Salads just don’t cut it for me, I’ll always end up making an excuse to order out if I pack salads for lunch. Since getting my instant pot last year, I’ve been making use of it to meal prep – one meal goes into the Instant Pot, while the other cooks on the stove or in the oven – which seriously cuts down on my prep time. I usually make two meals that will reheat well, split into five or six portions each, so there are enough lunches for my household for the week and we don’t need to eat the same meal every day. One of the things that encouraged me to start this blog in the first place was the interest I got from friends and family when I’d post my Sunday meal prep process, so expect more of these types of meals in the future!
I absolutely love fajitas, so I created this healthy casserole in the Instant Pot as a go-to for my weekly meal prep. It’s super quick and easy, tasty enough to eat multiple days in a row, yet still healthy enough to keep you on track with your diet goals. Of course, you don’t need to make this as a prep meal, it would also make a great weeknight dinner, and any leftovers you have will reheat well.
This dish can easily be made vegetarian by doubling the veggies and omitting the chicken.
What You’ll Need
Think traditional fajita ingredients – rice, fajita seasoning, garlic, onion, bell peppers, jalapeno, chicken, diced tomatoes & green chilies, veggie or chicken broth, enchilada sauce, shredded cheese and cilantro.
Turn your Instant Pot to saute and add olive oil, chicken, veggies and garlic. Saute until chicken is cooked through and veggies are softened, about 5 minutes. Add fajita seasoning and stir until combined.
Turn off your Instant Pot. Add the tomatoes, broth, enchilada sauce, chopped green chilies and rice on top the the chicken and veggies. Do not stir.
Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, then manually release the pressure.
Add the cilantro and cheese. Stir to combine, then divide evenly between meal prep containers.
Instant Pot Meal Prep Fajita Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packet fajita seasoning
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 (4oz) can of chopped green chilies
- 1 (10oz) can of red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute and add olive oil, chicken, veggies and garlic.
- Saute until chicken is cooked through and veggies are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add fajita seasoning and stir until combined.
- Turn off your Instant Pot.
- Add the rice, tomatoes, broth, enchilada sauce, chopped green chilies on top the the chicken and veggies. Do not stir.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, then manually release the pressure.
- Add the cilantro and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Divide evenly between meal prep containers.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.